About This Workshop
Does the idea of talking with your child about sexual orientation and gender identity feel difficult or even a little scary? Do you wonder how to raise a child to be open to these issues in themselves and an ally to others?
These issues can be daunting for both kids and parents. The changing ways that many in our society see gender identity and sexual orientation can cause further confusion and unrest. Your child will look to you for guidance about how to feel and act about this issue with regard to themselves and others. You may be wondering how to communicate with your LGBTQIA child in a way that shows them that you are an ally. Many parents want to show support, but don’t know quite what to say or what not to say.This workshop will help you prepare for an open, ongoing dialogue with your child or teen that is authentic and supportive.
- Click the button above to watch the recording of this workshop previously hosted. Come learn proven, effective solutions that quickly produce positive results giving you more clarity and confidence. If you are looking for more support email our Parent Guides at Solutions@Peaceathomeparenting.com.
- For additional support, check out the Quick Video Solutions Library, LGBTQ+ and Gender Essentials Explore the Video Solutions and Handouts for all the classes including Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity, LGBTQ+ What Do All Those Letters Mean?
After this workshop, you will be able to:
- Recognize key issues and biases related to sexual orientation and gender identity for your child and for yourself
- Apply listening and talking strategies that help your child feel safe enough to express their true thoughts and feelings about themselves and others
- Apply approaches that will support your child’s positive thoughts and feelings about themself and/or about members of the LGBTQIA+ community
- Identify ways for yourself and your child to be a supportive ally of LGBTQIA+ family, friends, and community members