Challenges & Solutions
Our Solution Series Libraries are developed around a specific parenting challenge. Each Series includes a collection of hand-picked, easily digestible (15 min+/-) videos which unlock a key piece of the parenting puzzle. Read our summary of this Series below then click on each lesson to access the class description, video, handouts, and information about our Expert(s).
When your child approaches you to share or process their thoughts and feelings about gender identity or sexual orientation they are trusting you with their deepest sense self. These conversations can spark fears for their wellbeing and it can be a struggle in that moment to know how to respond without rejecting or discounting their experience. Classes in this library will help you prepare for an open, ongoing dialogue with your child or teen that is candid, authentic and supportive.
Parents who access the “LGBTQ and Gender Essential Series” library will be able to:
- Identify the differences between sexual orientation and gender identity
- Identify common LGBTQ identities and what they may mean for your child
- Recognize and apply ways to respond to your child that are supportive
- Recognize responses to your child that are not helpful
- Apply listening and talking strategies that help your child feel safe enough to express their true thoughts and feelings
- Apply approaches that will support your child’s positive thoughts and feelings about themself