Challenges & Solutions
Our Solution Series Libraries are developed around a specific parenting challenge. Each Series includes a collection of hand-picked, easily digestible (15 min+/-) videos which unlock a key piece of the parenting puzzle. Read our summary of this Series below then click on each lesson to access the class description, video, handouts, and information about our Expert(s).
If you are a parent or a supervisor trying to find a balance between work and home responsibilities and boundaries, you are not alone. A family friendly supervisor finds ways to support working parents who may need flexible working arrangements outside of standard employment practices. Bureau of labor statistics show that and a survey of working parents revealed that 85% would be more loyal to their employers if they had a flexible work arrangement. Other research shows that flexible workers may face bias that leads them to be perceived as less productive and less committed to work. In this series supervisors will learn about the flexibility bias, the source of this bias as well as consequences, and explore the relevant research and the strong business case for flexible work arrangements.
- Learn family friendly supervision strategies that work
- Reflect on personal beliefs, attitudes and biases regarding flexible work arrangements
- Understand the origin of the flexibility bias
- Define flexibility bias and flexibility stigma
- Understand the effect of flexibility bias and stigma on employees with families
- Recognize what research tells us about the impact of flexible work arrangements on productivity and profit
- Identify and apply strategies to overcome flexibility bias