Fostering Empathy and Belonging through Gratitude
Challenges & Solutions
Our Solution Series Libraries are developed around a specific parenting challenge. Each Series includes a collection of hand-picked, easily digestible (15 min+/-) videos which unlock a key piece of the parenting puzzle. Read our summary of this Series below then click on each lesson to access the class description, video, handouts, and information about our Expert(s).
Peace at Home Parenting’s Amy Alamar, Ed D and Dana Asby, MA, M Ed, will introduce the research behind gratitude and share the benefits of practicing gratitude. We know a regular practice increases a student’s sense of belonging, strengthens relationships, increases happiness, builds self-esteem, reduces stress & anxiety, supports resilience, nurtures motivation, improves academic performance, and encourages engagement in extra-curriculars. We will also introduce research-based methods of practice including journaling, letter writing, and compiling a strengths inventory. Support for social emotional growth does not just happen during school hours – especially now, with so many families helping with hybrid and distance learning. We will also explore how young people can apply the skills they learn to strengthen family relationships and wellbeing and make an authentic home-school connection.
After this session, educators will be able to:
- Define Gratitude
- Identify the components of gratitude (Benefactor (person, thing or condition), Benefit, Personal Value, Cost, Intention)
- Coach students through developing meaningful messages of gratitude
- Explain how gratitude practices & technology can increase students’ sense of belonging, self-esteem and motivation.
- Explore practices counselors can use to help students process emotions, behaviors, and decision-making.
- Discuss ways counselors can support educators to strengthen student social-emotional wellbeing
- Define digital citizenship
- Explore taking responsibility for your online interactions
- Share gratitude practices to build digital citizenship, SEL, & wellbeing
The Science of Gratitude
Using Gratitude in Your Counseling Practice
From School to Home: How students can lead gratitude practice beyond the classroom
Using Gratitude to Teach and Practice Digital Citizenship