Challenges & Solutions
Thank you for your interest. This program is now closed. We anticipate offering this series again in the future, so you are welcome to register at that time.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) 8-Week Course starting Tuesday, September 19, 2023
Peace at home is a goal that is close to all of our hearts. But how in the world can we get there as another school year begins, families are still impacted by post pandemic issues and your tasks as a working parent never seem to end?
There is actually a roadmap to this much sought after destination of peace.
Several decades ago researcher Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn developed a practical approach for finding calm amidst the chaos using simple, traditional methods. Dr. Kabat-Zinn conducted extensive research, as have many scientists after him, that demonstrates the power of MBSR to transform your experience of pain and stress. MBSR is proven to bring benefits to people’s lives in many domains, including physical (e.g., immune system, pain) and mental health (e.g., anxiety, depression, addiction), psychological functioning (e.g., attention, problem solving, emotion regulation, empathy), relationship and work satisfactions. In particular, there is new evidence that MBSR helps to improve a parent’s experience of parenting, reduce parenting stress, and improving co-parenting.
It has never been more important to be your child’s calm center and this free course with inspiring Peace At Home teacher and University of Connecticut professor Dr. Na Zhang is one way for you to come much closer to that goal.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Each week you will participate in a 2.5*-hour online class where you will learn how to practice mindfulness and how to apply it to your life.
- After the 5th class there will be an all-day (6-hour) class to immerse you in an extended period of guided practice.
- You will be cultivating attitudes of mindfulness including non-judging, non-striving, acceptance, letting go, patience and “beginner’s mind.”
- Our class will become a community and each member will have the opportunity to contribute to and benefit from experiential learning in a confidential, safe setting.
Who is invited?
MBSR is for everyone. The only requirement is that you have a desire to gain self-awareness through committed practices.
- Commitment to all attending all 9 sessions.
- A designated space for attending each virtual class without being disturbed.
- The Jon Kabat-Zinn JKZ Meditations app downloaded to your phone which will support your guided practice between classes. Additional cost $2.50/month or $24.99 annually.
You are welcome to use meditation cushions, a yoga mat or anything else that will support your practice but these are not required
Session dates are as follows:
- 8 Tuesday evenings Sept 19 & 26, Oct 3, 10, 17, 24, 30*, Nov 7 *Monday to avoid Halloween
- 1 all-day session – Sunday, October 22, 9 am – 4 pm ET
Not sure if you can do it? Or wonder if this class is for you?
- You may email Peace At Home teacher Dr. Na Zhang at Solutions@peaceathomeparenting.com. Making space for this class may feel impossible, but if you feel called to make this change in your life, we want to help. At Peace At Home, we believe this is one of the most important gifts you can give yourself and your family. Space is limited. Please reach out as soon as you get clear.
- For additional support, check out the Quick Video Solutions Family Mental & Physical Wellness, Explore the Video Solutions and Handouts for all the classes including Mindfulness: Breath Work for Kids and Adults, Form Healthy Habits: Practical Tips for Long Term Success